Subclass 482 visa permits employers to collect labor shortages by carrying in skilled workers where employers can’t source a suitably skilled Australian worker. This particular labor visa was announced on 19 March 2019. It replaced the Temporary Work visa subclass 457 which has been eliminated by DHA.
The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) is a temporary visa that lets Australian employers to sponsor an appropriately skilled worker to fill a position they can’t find a appropriately skilled Australian to fill. If you get this visa you can stay in Australia as long as your visa is valid. You can live, work and study in Australia as long as the visa is valid. You can also travel to and from Australia as many times as you want till the visa is valid. Though the time that it will take, means the processing time to get the visa is not fixed. You will need to expend approximately 1,330 AUD and more to get the visa.
About this visa
Generally you apply for your visa at the same time and combined with the visa application of the most candidate. In a few occurrences, this may not be conceivable. This may happen where the composition of the family changes after:
- the main applicant has already submitted their application for a TSS visa and it is still pending a decision
- a subclass 457 or TSS visa has already been granted to the primary TSS visa applicant
When this happens and you need to connect the necessary candidate on their visa, you must apply independently by submitting a visa application in your claim right. Typically known as consequent entrant. When you yield your visa application for an ensuing participant, you’re required to connect a composed letter from the support amplifying their sponsorship commitment to incorporate you as a family part within the nomination. This necessity is aiming to guarantee the essential applicant’s manager is mindful of all the family individuals to whom their sponsorship commitments will extend.
- There is no age requirement for this visa
- If your partner or parent holds a 457 and your application is approved, you will be granted a subclass 482.
- The sponsor with the most recent approved nomination in relation to the primary applicant (or visa holder), must agree (or have agreed) in writing to include you as a family member in the nomination
- You must have adequate health cover for the whole of your intended stay to be granted this visa. Your cover insurance should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport. It will be a condition of the visa that you maintain adequate health insurance while you remain in Australia.
- You and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa with you must meet our character requirement.
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- Be the holder of an appropriate visa
- If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.
- Sign the Australian values statement
Four steps that you need to follow
- Before you apply converse with the sponsor if they will extend the nomination to you. You will need to have health examinations and you might want to get help with your application.
- Gather your documents, you will have to provide documents for your identity, character, skills and occupation and health.
- Apply for the visa online
- After you apply they will let you know when we have received your application and documents. See what you can and must do after you apply.
You can be in or outside Australia when they agree on your visa application. They must have accepted your employer’s nomination before they can give you a TSS visa. They will let you know their verdict about your visa application in writing. They will ask you-
- your visa grant number
- the date your visa starts
- your visa conditions
Keep a copy of the decision with you when in Australia.
If they refuse your visa we will let you know in writing. They will tell you:
- why it was refused
- whether you have a right to a review of the decision
A new Permanent residence (PR) pathway for Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa holders
For the next 2 years from the 1st of July of 2022 Temporary Skill Shortage visa holders who were employed in Australia between February 1 of 2020 and December 14 of 2021 for a minimum of a year, will now be qualified to apply for the new Australian permanent residency pathway.
This is now possible through the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream of the Subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS).
One of the most important updates announced for the 482 visas is that occupations on the short-term list will also be eligible for the Temporary Residency Transition stream.
The requirements to entrance the TSS PR pathway
- Holding a subclass 457 visa that was not approved under the Labour Agreement stream OR
- A subclass 482 (TSS) visa granted for an occupation on the Medium to Long-term Strategic Skills list OR
- Having a subclass 482 (TSS) visa or subclass 457 visa granted for an occupation on the short-term stream and you must:
- have been in Australia for at least one year between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021
- Fulfil all other nomination and visa requirements for the TRT stream
Disclaimer: The purpose of this Blog is to provide a general understanding based on publicly available sources and does not constitute migration advice in any manner. Anyone seeking advice on migration to Australia should seek advice from a registered Australian migration agent.
Are you or your employer unsure of your eligibility for 482 VISA?
ESI Global Services can assist if you want to immigrate to Australia and have the necessary skills to live and work there. We assist candidates throughout the entire process and offer comprehensive solutions thanks to our expert migration agents for their thorough understanding in the domains of skilled migration advising.
Contact us to solve all your 482 questions!
Australia: +61 415 863 586
ESI Global Services is an International Education and Migration consulting company, specializing in providing online and face-to-face professional information for potential professionals from a wide number of countries around the world.