Visa Points Calculator
Book an Appointment


Can’t find the answer you are looking for? We have shared some of the most frequently asked questions to help you out!

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

482 VISA Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) Visa Guide

The TSS visa allows employers to sponsor visa applicants to work in Australia. The duration may range from 2 to 4 years, depending on the applicant’s occupation. The program is designed to address documented skills shortages hence only some nominated approved occupation lists.
It is the right fit and is a win-win for:
  • A skilled person who has been able to find a job in Australia and needs a work visa
  • An employer who wishes to Sponsor a skilled employee to fill a role in your business
The different streams of eligibility for TSS service:
  • Short-term stream: for applicants being nominated for occupations on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
  • Medium-term stream: for applicants being nominated for occupations on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
    Labour Agreement stream: for applicants with an employment offer with a business subject to a labour agreement
The nomination can be only be lodged once the sponsorship is lodged. The business employer must be an approved sponsor to nominate someone. After the nomination approves you have another 12 months to lodge the visa application.
Before the change of sponsor the applicant must get the sponsorship obligations reviewed by the immigration in regards to job role and salary.
Again, an employer must be an approved sponsor to lodge a Nomination application.
  • The visa holder cannot work for the new Sponsor until the new Nomination is in place
  • The validity dates on the original visa do not change. The same visa remains in place, with the same expiry date. If you want a longer visa period a new visa application needs to be lodged.
  • The new Sponsor takes on the Sponsorship Obligation for the visa holder on nomination approval.
You may still be able to lodge your application onshore if you do not hold a substantive visa. However, it is important to note the only Bridging Visas eligible for a TSS visa are Bridging Visas A, B or C.
  • The primary applicant can only include spouse (married or de-facto)
  • Child (biological or step-child) who are under 18; are above 18 but less than 23 ( studying full time and never worked full time)
All family members included in the application will have no work limitation – this means the spouse of the primary visa holder can work without restriction.
The visa will be granted for the same period as the primary visa holder, and no longer.
There is no particular deadline by which you will need to travel to Australia.
You should update your passport details with Immigration as soon as you can, so that when the visa is granted, it is granted against the correct passport details.
If your Sponsor is an Australian business, you can work for the Sponsor directly or move around different subsidiaries.
If your Sponsor is an overseas business, you must only work directly for the overseas company/Sponso
You do not require to apply a new visa if you have been already granted a TSS or 457 visa and you want to change your employer provided it is in the same occupation. However, before you start working for a new employer, you must be nominated by them. The new employer has to be an approved Sponsor (or apply to become one), and the Nomination has to be approved before you change employer.
The condition that is applied to your TSS and 457 visa means you must work in the nominated occupation.
If you want to change your role, or your employer wants you to change your role, new Nomination AND Visa applications need to be approved before you proceed.
The following are the options in that scenario:
​​Depart Australia within 60 days or find a new Sponsor and lodge a nomination to change your employer within 60 days
Yes, as this will trigger the cancelation section of Immigration to monitor you to see if you depart or lodge a new Nomination.
A family member can be added to your visa application by making a separate visa application. This is known as 'subsequent entrant' application.
There is an administrative process to make sure the visa details are in the Immigration system as the baby is liable to get 457 visa. You should provide the immigration with a copy of the baby’s passport and birth certificate, and health requirements may need to be met.

491 visa Subclass

In November 2019 the Subclass 489 ceased and was replaced by the Subclass 491 visa. As a Subclass 491 visa holder:
  • You are allowed to stay in Australia for 5 years from the date of visa grant.
  • Should work, live and study in a designated regional area.
  • Enter and exit from Australia as many times you want
    Application for 491subclass can only be put up if you are invited and for an invitation you should have been nominated by an Australian state or territory government agencies or a family sponsor residing in regional Australia
Any part of Australia excluding metropolitan cities Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.
The Subclass 491 visa is also a points-tested visa. This means that when you submit your EOI (Expression of Interest) you will be given indicative points score based on the information you provide. The threshold is 65 points. If you do not obtain 65 points you will not be invited to apply. 
In addition, it to it the state or territory government agency or sponsorship by family member adds 15 points for the nomination to live, work and study in regional Australia.
Yes, for the application to be valid you must hold a valid skill assessment at the time of invite as you would need to provide the same during the application.
For a family stream visa, the sponsor must be 18 years and above, resident in designated area of Australia and be an eligible relative. The eligible relatives being:
  • A parent
  • A child or stepchild
  • A brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother or stepsister
  • An aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
  • A nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece
  • A grandparent, or a first cousin
There is no clause on the requirement that the sponsor and applicant must live in the same regional area but however the sponsor is required to maintain all the conditions agreed on regardless of which regional Australian part they are each living.
Holders of 491 visa can only apply for other skill visa after completing at least three years in designated regional area and have complied with your visa conditions.
You can be eligible for PR pathway through through (Skilled Regional) visa (Subclass 191).
To apply for a Subclass 191, you must
: – Must have lived for at least 3 years in a designated regional area and have a taxable income of 53,900 per annum for three years
– Both primary and secondary applicants have should need to comply with the conditions.
As such there is no cost associated with submitting an EOI and you can keep updating the profile at no expense as many times as you wish. After the nomination, the application charges for the main applicant costs AUD$4045. There is also a charge of AUD 2025 for each family member, 18 years and older, who apply for the visa with you.
The documents are:
  • Passport showing photo, personal details, issue and expiry dates, a national identity card and proof of name change
  • Documents proving relationship status, including death, marriage and divorce certificates
  • Character certificate from the police in every country you’ve lived in since you were 16 years old
  • Skill assessment documents
  • Competent English documents
  • Sponsorship documents- proof of their citizenship, residence and proof of relationship with them
  • Partner documents including ID, skill assessment results, English test results
  • Family members under 18 need ID, character documents, and proof you have parental rights family members over 18 need character documents, English test results, proof of family relationship and how they are dependent on you
The coloured copies of the originals do not need any certification. In few case scenario, if the scanned colour copy is not clear the DIBP contacts you through.
Yes, documents in languages other than English need to be accompanied by an English translation along with original copies of the documents.
In Australia: translations need to be undertaken by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
In overseas: Translations need to be endorsed by the translator with their full name, address and telephone number, and the translator needs to include details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated
No. You can only submit an application for NSW nomination if you have a valid skills assessment and valid English language test result.
If you apply and do not have a valid Skills Assessment or English Language test result at the time you submitted your application it would lead in application being declined.
A case officer does contact you if any further information/ documents is required while application is being assessed.
The visa cannot be extended, if you require to stay longer you need to put a new application.
You and members of your family who hold this visa, must work and study in designated regional areas of Australia. If your nomination is withdrawn, your visa will not be grante
Members of your family who don’t apply for this visa with you can apply to join you in Australia later as subsequent entrants.
The postcodes and the regions are determined by the Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs.
Eligible regions are published on the DIBP webpage:
Your employment must meet the Department of Home Affairs’ requirements for skilled employment. The details for the same are mentioned on the DIBP points table:
No, during the last 12 months to satisfy this requirement you may have been employed by more than one employer in regional NSW.
Yes, you need to have been continuously employed in regional NSW for at least the last 12 months. If you have been employed in more than one job during the last 12 months, the gap in between your jobs should not have been for more than one month
The offer of employment should be in the designated regional area postcode for a minimum offer for 12 months with 35 hours per week.
Also, the job should be in a closely related occupation (within the related ANSCO codes) and meet requirements for Department of Home Affairs.
The registration under Australian government is mandatory.
The eligible relatives have been discussed above.
For regional NSW visa the family member must be currently residing in regional NSW and have resided in regional NSW for at least the last 24 months. You as an applicant should not be residing interstate you are not eligible for regional NSW nomination in that scenario
  • Have been completed with an education provider or education providers located in regional NSW
  • Have been completed while you were living in regional NSW
  • Have been completed within the last 12 months before applying for NSW nomination
  • Have been continuous and met the Department of Home Affairs’ Australian Study Requirement.


Accordion Sample DescriptionAustralia is a multi-diverse country representing 194 nationalities choosing to study in Australia. The main reasons to study in Australia are:
  • Reasonable study costs
  • Globally recognised courses and institutions Lively and multicultural lifestyle
To become eligible for a student visa to Australia you must first enrol in a full time course of study which is registered with the Commonwealth Registry of International Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). To obtain the student visa you must study a course listed on the CRICOS register. To put up a valid application you must have a CoE to apply the student visa. CoE is received on accepting the letter of offer from the university/ institution and paying the fees to enrol in the desired course.
The course needs to be registered under the Commonwealth Registry of International Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). The international students need to be enrolled full time to be eligible.
Tuition fees will vary depending on the course and institution. Also the subject level and duration of the course changes.
The primary holder of a student visa in Australia (the person who is actually studying in Australia) can normally work no more than 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and can work unlimited hours when the course is not in session ( during semester breaks and at the end of the course). There are some exceptions to this. For example, students studying a PhD or Masters of Research generally have unlimited work rights for the primary and secondary applicants. The work limitation for your dependents can vary depending on the situation too
Australian student visa applications have five different tests accepted:
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  •  Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  • Occupational English Test (OET)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE). In details of the minimum requirement visit the Student 500 Eligibility- DIBP website.
The requirements for English language are different depending on which visa you are applying for, what your occupation is and whether you are the 'primary' or 'secondary' applicant. Additionally, the passport you hold and whether or not you completed your schooling in English may be a factor
As discussed above you need CoE to apply the visa. The evidences required to be provided with the application will depend on the country of origin and intended education provider. The Document Checklist Tool on the Immigration Website will help with the indication of an evidence you will need to submit.
Almost each universities in Australia offers scholarships to prospective International students. The scholarships vary from each university and institute and, it's best to get in direct contact with your preferred institution.
Yes you can but there are strict conditions and steps set up by the government which requires you to study with the educational provider for the first six months. If you want to change the course before six months you require a “Release Letter”.
The applicants are advised to put the application with all the supporting documents. The Department may or may not contact depending on the case officers perspective. In case of a student visa they may request you to provide financial documents if they are insufficient or lack any evidence of support and many more. In case of visitor visa they may ask for evidence of ties to home country to explain the concerns of genuine visitor.
In case your visa expires leads you to becoming unlawful in Australia and can have wide consequences. The duration of being unlawful is a critical factor. In these scenarios we recommend taking action at the earliest as there are many other factors to be considered. You are eligible to apply a bridging c being here but involves some technicalities to it. If any such situation you should contact one of our experienced advisors immediately to discuss your situation.
There are innumerable options that vary with situation of each individual. You might be eligible to apply post study work or skilled permanent, skilled temporary, employer sponsored or possibly some other as per the situation. There is no specific answer to it.
The answer ranges from a yes to no depending on the application being applied. Student visa and skilled permanent visa do allow you to include your family members whereas the case is not the same in case of working holiday visa. Moreover in case of sponsored work visa (457) it depends on the employer if the sponsor is limited to the primary applicant or he agrees on for spouse and children too. There are additional costs for every member included that depends on the subclass of visa application.
Parents and siblings are considered to be other family. To include them you need to prove the dependency and that is too complex to explain. Hence we suggest not including them in application.
To include a child above 18 and below 23 years you must be able to prove that they are dependent on you. Issues of 'dependence' with adult applicants are very complex in Australian migration law. Because of this we advise that you discuss this with one of our experienced advisors before proceeding any further with your application.
All applicants who are required to complete a medical examination for an Australian visa must complete it only at an Australian government approved panel physician. There are a few very limited exceptions to this. You cannot go to your local doctor
The Department of Home Affairs expects students to have sufficient funds to cover their travel, cost of living and tuition fees. Students need to demonstrate genuine access to at least the following if the course they enrol in is 12 months or longer:
Single applicant: $21,041 and the first year tuition fees Secondary applicant travelling with you (living expense):
  • Partner: $7,362
  • Child: $3,152 Travelling expense: $2000 each
    If you want to study for less than 12 months, the amount of funds needed to demonstrate will be calculated ‘pro-rata’, which means that the amount will be adjusted according to the length of your course
The evidence of funds being:
  • Bank Statement Savings (three months old)
  • Fixed Deposit ( three months old)
  • Fixed Deposit ( if current)- (Overdraft on FD)
  • Ongoing Income ( three years Tax Return)
  • Loan (Educational/ Personal)
No, absolutely no age limit. If you are above 18 you can apply for a student visa. In case of below 18 you would need to organise a guardian.
Yes!! This is called a ‘package course’ and is very common. If you need to improve your English and enrol in a language course before commencing a primary course (e.g. a Bachelor degree or Diploma), you can package both courses and apply for one single visa to cover the whole duration of your studies.
If you have completed previous study, or you have worked at length in the field in which you consider to study, you may be entitled to obtain recognition of prior Learning (RPL) or credit points (exemptions) towards completing your course based on your previous study or work experience.
Verification Online (VEVO) is an online facility that enables the visa holders to find out about their immigration status. This facility is also available for registered Australian Organizations such as employers, labour suppliers, education providers, migration agents, banks and government agencies, to check visa details and entitlements.
CoE will include the date you’re expected to finish your course. The duration of your student visa is based on this date.
You must complete your course if not you need to extend the visa with a new CoE.
Depending on your course, you may have the option to defer your offer for up to one year. This means the university will hold a place for you to enrol in your course the following semester or year.
If you are an international student visa holder, you’re required to enrol full time (4 subjects each semester, 2 or 3 units as per the trimester breakdown).
Each institution has its own minimum requirements. Generally a year 12 or an equivalent diploma is a prerequisite for admissions offshore. In case of onshore there are some institutions in case of VET courses that accept year 11.
The students basically are into vocational courses (certificate or Diploma courses); undergraduate courses (Bachelors) or postgraduate courses (Masters).

General Skilled Migration

189 visa is a Skilled Independent which gives you a permanent residency visa that allows a skilled worker to come to Australia for work and stay anywhere in Australia permanently on the invitation. This is an independent visa that does not require any kind of nomination and sponsorship.
  • The visa subclass 189 Australia being an independent visa requires the applicant to be able to satisfy certain points for being eligible:
  • Be under 50 years of age.
  • Possess competent (at least) English skills.
  • Achieve a minimum score which will be specified in your letter of invitation.
  • Nominate an occupation which is listed on the skilled occupation list.
  • Achieve a satisfactory skills assessment.
This visa brings a lot of entitlements along with it:
  • Stay in Australia permanently
  • Work or study anywhere in Australia
  • Enrol in any of Australia’s public health care scheme Post completion of certain conditions is eligible to apply for  Australian citizenship too
The cost of a visa application for the subclass 189 visa Australia is AUD 4045 for the main applicant and for any additional applicant above 18 lodging at the same time will be AUD 2020 and under 18 is AUD 1015.
The general processing time range is 11-13 months old.
The subclass 189 visa is the “independent” visa and the subclass 190 visa is state-sponsored
The 190 visa is as state sponsored visa and is available for skilled workers who have been nominated by an Australian state or territory.
To be granted a 189 visa, you will need to undergo a three-stage process:
  1. Successfully undertake a skill assessment.
  2. Complete an Expression of Interest.
  3. Finalise a visa application if invited.
It is a formal submission to Department of Home Affairs expressing an interest to make an application. Anyone interested in the points based general migration visa program will need to submit an EOI and receive an invitation in order to lodge a visa application.
 Yes, you can update your EOI at any time before you receive an invitation to apply for the visa.
You will not be able to change or update your EOI once you have receive an invitation
There are no limitations on how many EOI you can submit. However, if you receive an invitation you must be able to provide supporting evidence and demonstrate all the claims you have made to achieve your points score.
Invitations are issued on a monthly basis. The results of the invitation rounds are published on the Department of Home Affairs website after every round. There is no fixed time line to getting an invitation.
You will have 60 days to lodge your online visa application when you receive an invitation. If you do not lodge your visa application within this 60 days, your invitation will expire, and you will then have to wait for the department to invite you again
If you receive two invitations to apply for the visa for the same EOI and you do not lodge a visa application, your EOI will be removed from Skill Select. Hence, you will have to lodge another EOI.
It is the point breakdown by the department to select applicants who have the attributes Australia needs for immigration purposes. The various points’ breakdown range on age, English ability, qualifications and experience.
No!! It cannot be done. The positions in terms of rankings undergo key changes with EOI being withdrawn and filed.